INTRODUCTION TO DATA MIGRATION
Data migration in Data Futures refers to the translation of legacy data submitted against the CXX051/54 collections into the Data Futures data model. The data migration activity will allow quality assurance checks to be run against the first Data Futures collection in 2022/23, against data submitted by providers. This activity will mean there can be an amount of replication across continuity and credibility checks, which we are doing to ensure an appropriate degree of quality assurance as we move from legacy to the Data Futures. Clearly the models are different both at the field level as well as high level concepts so it is important that we implement the migration as accurately as possible to ensure robust quality assurance can be undertaken.
PRINCIPLES OF DATA MIGRATION
• We will only migrate data that will be used either directly or to support transition year quality assurance.
• We will only use migrated data for quality assurance where the migration process is deemed robust enough to do this.
• We will provide a migrated dataset to each submitting provider along with a detailed migration specification to support understanding of this data for the transition year submission/quality assurance process.
• We will work with providers to develop the migration specification to ensure it is fit for purpose.
DATA MIGRATION WORK SO FAR
• As part of the Alpha phase we created a draft data migration spec which we shared with alpha participants along with a cut of their migrated data. This allowed review/refinement of the specification as well as testing some of the logic of the migration itself.
• We have since updated the migration specification to account for changes to the coding manual and are now in a position to share this with the sector.
• The data migration specification will be updated to align with any future changes to the Data Futures coding manual.
• It is anticipated that migrated data will be used to support the Beta phase, details on this will be included within communications on Beta.
DATA MIGRATION SPECIFICATIONS
- Migration Summary
- Derived field - Expected End Date
- Derived field - Non-Standard
- Derived field - Short Course
- Migration Population
For more information regarding Legacy to Data Futures mapping please view the Forward Mapping page.